Who doesn’t love meatballs?
I’ve been making meatballs for so long I can’t remember how old I was when I first started making them. I know I was a child. I’m descended from an Italian immigrant, my grandpa; so, meatballs are in my blood.
In addition to macaroni and meatballs, sometimes I like meatballs in other ways. Meatball stew is always a great way to have meatballs in a filling, stick-to-your-ribs, good, home-cooked meal.
I’ve made variations of this recipe for years, but I’ve never actually written it down. I decided to write it down to share with all my friends here. I’ve thought of adding pasta to it, specifically tortellini, but I haven’t yet. No reason as to why I haven’t except whenever I’ve decided to make it I don’t have any tortellini on hand. If you decide to add tortellini to it, prepare it according to package directions and add it just before serving.
If you love meatballs, love stew, love easy and don’t want to be prepping all day with washing and cutting veggies, you will love this delicious morsel of a recipe.
Note: keep in mind, we’re Italian. I learned to cook without measuring things. When I do write down recipes, I have to guess at the measurements. I usually try to make it once with the measurements; so, I know if the measurements work. Some things have a measurement, but also might be “to taste.”
Easy Meatball Stew
1 pound ground beef
Garlic powder, Mrs Dash Table Blend®, Mrs Dash Onion and Herb Blend®, Basil, Oregano, Parsley (note: all add to taste. I just start at one side of the meat in the bowl and gently sprinkle to the other side of the meat in the bowl. I know that’s not a real measurement, but if I had to guess, I would have to say about ½ tsp or so.)
1 small onion*
¼ – ½ tsp minced garlic (to taste)
1 can mushrooms (optional)
1 tsp Mrs Dash Table Blend®
1 tsp Basil
1 tsp Oregano
1 Tbsp Parsley
12 oz frozen mixed vegetables
2-3 cans 15 oz diced skin-on yellow potatoes w/onions and bell peppers (Walmart’s Great Value® brand)
Note: You can substitute cans of plain diced potatoes and add a bell pepper diced.
4 cups water
1 pkt Lipton® Recipe Secrets® Beefy Onion Soup Mix
- In bowl, mix beef and egg with dash of Mrs Dash Table Blend®, Mrs Dash Onion and Herb Blend®, basil, oregano, parsley and garlic powder.
- Blend in enough bread crumbs to absorb egg but wet (sticky) enough to form small ½” to 1” meatballs.
- Gently brown meatballs on cookie sheet in oven set on broil. Rotate once with spatula gently so as to not crush or break meatballs. **
- Mix water and Lipton® Recipe Secrets® Beefy Onion Soup Mix together in Dutch oven. Bring to gentle rolling boil.
- Add onion, mushrooms, Mrs Dash Table Blend®, basil, oregano, parsley.
- Add thickener (see below)
- Add meatballs.
- Simmer 1 ½ hours.
- Add both frozen and canned vegetables.
- Cook for another 30 minutes or until frozen veggies are tender.
- Serve with warm biscuits or rolls.
* May substitute 1 Tbsp minced onion, Mrs Dash Onion & Herb Blend®, or pearl onions
** Tip: use non-stick foil or spray regular foil with non-stick spray.
2 Tbsp flour
2 cups water
Whisk in bowl or glass measuring cup until liquid is cloudy.